image description

Building a Sustainable Future: The Impact of Robust Tanks in Fish Farming


For å lese denne saken på norsk, klikk her for å åpne en norsk versjon.

Skrevet/ Written: 05-06-2023

Building a Sustainable Future: The Impact of Robust Tanks in Fish Farming

The land-based salmon farming company Salmon Evolution, located on the Norwegian west coast, has now successfully operated for 15 months, raising six generations of sustainably farmed salmon. In its first phase, the farm utilized 12 water tanks, with plans to expand to 48 tanks and achieve an annual production of 36,000 tons by 2028. Danish A-Consult has been instrumental in delivering the concrete tanks for this ambitious project.

Important design and finish 

According to Chief Project Officer Kamilla Mordal Holo, the operation of the facility has been highly successful, with no significant challenges that couldn't be overcome. Looking forward to the next phase, Kamilla expresses optimism and satisfaction with the performance of the concrete tanks provided by A-Consult. Each of the existing tanks currently holds 5,000 cubic meters of water and fish.

The round tank design enhances hydraulics, while the robust concrete construction features a smooth and easily washable interior:

- When one generation of salmon has been raised, the tank is emptied and cleaned. Therefore, the washable inside is of great importance, Kamilla explains.

Sustainable production and local employment

Salmon Evolution prioritizes sustainable production practices and has implemented a hybrid flow-through system, allowing for 65% of the water in the tanks to be reused, with the remaining 35% sourced as filtered fresh seawater. By combining clean and reused water, the farm minimizes energy consumption associated with water pumping and heating. Waste like feces and feed residues from the production process, are efficiently collected and reutilized as raw materials for biogas production and fertilizer. This comprehensive approach ensures rational operation, promotes fish welfare, and minimizes environmental impact, making the Salmon Evolution project an impressive aquaculture adventure.

Also, the plant at Indre Harøy generates a lot of employment, Kamilla emphasizes:

- We have around 70 employees at the fish farm and generate employment within local stores and among numerous suppliers associated with the facility.

A prototype for international projects

Looking beyond its success in Norway, Salmon Evolution sees the potential for international expansion. Kamilla reveals that planning for a land-based facility in Korea is currently underway, while the search for the right location in the USA is also in progress. The construction of the flagship facility in Norway at Indre Harøy establishes a pioneering prototype for similar projects abroad, fostering inspiration for the replication of this innovative and sustainable approach.

In conclusion, Salmon Evolution is a remarkable example of the effective utilization of robust tanks and sustainable practices. 


© Copyright 2023 A Consult, alle rettigheder forbeholdt